Christian Home Churches
Home groups are one of the most important aspects of the spiritual development of Christ’s Body on earth. What they are and why they are vital, we’ll tell you more in this article.
Some reasons why Christian Home Churches were born
Christian home churches, or home groups as we also call them, are not just an idea suggested by any church or an innovation brought by any successful minister. Home groups have their roots in the early church, the Bible tells us about it. The author of the book of Acts refers to the fact that the believers of the early church gathered in their homes to have the common meal and the prayers. When they had such gatherings, the believers of that time obviously had fellowship with each other. Probably they did not make only small talks, because the apostles shared the word they heard from Jesus Christ. So the Bible says,
“So continuing…with one accord...from house to house, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.” (Acts 2: 46-47).
“...And daily in the temple and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.” (Acts 5:42).
“... how I kept back nothing that was helpful, but proclaimed it to you, and taught you publicly and from house to house, testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Acts 20: 20-21).
Why Christian Home Groups
A Christian home church is a meeting in a group of 3 to 12 believers. How to run such meetings and why do we need them?
1. The primary purpose of a home group is to meet the spiritual and physical needs that believers might have. For example, while studying the Bible, a person can have some difficulties in understanding God’s wisdom. In home groups, he can ask questions and asks others to explain what he does not understand. The mentor or participants can share their reflections on what they read in the Scripture and help others study the Bible. Also, group members communicate and share testimonies of healings through prayer and share how God's Word has transformed their lives.
2. Through home groups we fulfill the great commission of the Lord, “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations.” Our goal is to tell people about the One who can save their lives, about Jesus Christ. In home groups we create all the conditions for people who do not know God yet, but seek Him, could see the love of God the Father. Through home groups we can accept them into God's family, become their friends, and teach them the basics of the faith.
3. The New Testament describes the process of prophetic action in the congregation of believers, “...but he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.”
Listeners are believers, or the Spiritual Body of Christ, present at the meeting. The purpose of prophecy in the New Testament is to edify, exhort, and comfort the hearers. Therefore, in home church meetings, prophesying should be made. Messages from God should come from believers for the edification, exhortation and comfort of the church. The word “comfort” comes from the Greek word “paramudsia,” which means “to revive,” “to create a close connection.” A person who has the gift of prophesying has the ability to get closer to people in order to fill them with comfort.
4. We meet the communication needs. Home groups are based on spiritual communication with brothers and sisters in faith for the purpose of spiritual edification and mutual enrichment. A home atmosphere and a small number of people promote a closer relationship, which allows you to open hearts without fear and hesitation. Each person can share his problems and needs. The task of the mentor and the home group is to help each other solve certain needs.
5. The home group is a talent development environment. A mentor is interested in people being able to unwrap their spiritual gifts and sharpen them in order to bear fruit in the Body of Christ and in society.
6. Prayer and worship make up an integral part of the group. Through them people express their love for God. They help a spiritual person to open his soul and get closer to Him.